Looking for an extra large heavy-weight floor safe to protect documents and valuables from fire, flood, or theft? The SentrySafe SFW205CWB might be exactly what you’re looking for. In this review, we’ll take a look at what exactly you’re getting.
SentrySafe SFW205CWB Review
The SFW205CWB is designed to give you solid protection against natural elements like fire and water, as well as against theft. Theoretically, you’ll never have to worry about losing anything to damage, or risk having your valuables get stolen.
Let’s start with theft. First of all, this steel box weighs in at a solid 138.2 pounds (56.6 kg). Even if it’s not bolted to the floor, that’s a pretty hefty load for someone to pick up and walk off with.
In addition, the safe can easily be secured to the floor to make it even less likely to disappear. It has two areas to drill through inside the bottom shelf of the safe. By using the provided mounting hardware, you’ll be able to ensure that your safe cannot be removed.
One negative to this model is a lack of drilling areas on the back side, so it cannot be mounted on the wall, unlike some similar models. The substantial weight is probably a factor in this too. Despite not being wall mountable, this model does claim protection against a fall from as far as two stories high.
Not only is this safe water-resistant in up to 8 inches of water for 24 hours, it’s rated to withstand fire for up to one hour as well. It offers protection against temperatures reaching up to 1700° Fahrenheit (927° Celsius). Unlike some of its competitors, it’s rated to protect electronics like USB drives and hard drives as well as media like CDs and DVDs.
As with any air tight safe, be sure to place your valuable documents into airtight, dishwasher and microwave safe containers, because there is moisture involved when the safe reacts with heat. Like any safe of this kind, you’ll want to put a desiccant material inside as well to absorb moisture from the safe “sweating.” Something like this should do the trick.
This model comes with a warranty and insurance policy to cover losses up to $50,000 if the safe is registered. The insurance policies provided by the manufacturers do not cover burglary. However, your home-owner’s insurance (or renter’s insurance) likely covers burglary. Check your policy to be sure. Register your safe and get warranty details here.
Dimensions are 19.3 by 18.6 by 23.8 inches, making this safe larger than most cheaper models. It has an advertised interior space of 2.0 cubic feet (56.5 cubic liters) – pretty good for a home safe in this class.
The safe also provides convenience for all your items, especially smaller items such as keys, as the safe comes with adjustable trays, a key rack, and a slot for smaller valuables. For full details, see the owner’s manual here (PDF link).
- Although the safe has exterior hinges, there are no specific weak spots that can be tampered with, making it a reliable, trustworthy safe you can count on.
- It protects CDs, DVDs, USB sticks, and other memory drives for a guaranteed 1 hour against a fire up to 1700° F.
- Thanks to its solid weight, it requires strength to be able to move it, making it more reliable against thefts of opportunity.
- By having a six-digit combination code to the safe and no key, it provides additional protection against theft, and it is also very simple to use.
- As the safe is heavy steel, it is very durable and solid, making it difficult for thieves to steal since it is not a one-man job.
- 7-inch and 1-inch interior drawers allow for organization.
- Lifetime anti-fire replacement warranty from manufacturer.
- Once you have set the combination for the safe, it can no longer be changed, and there’s no backup key.
- The safe (when exposed to fire) does not protect computer floppy disks, ink cartridges, videotapes, audio/video cassette tapes, or photo negatives, according to the manufacturer. This is normal for this class of safes, but still unfortunate.
- Although the safe becomes more secured when being drilled to the floor, drilling can potentially compromise the water protection provided by the safe.
- Delivery and installation requires at least two people to carry and move due to the product’s weight of being over 100 pounds.
- Despite the accessibility of the trays, some customers report they are not made with very good material and cannot fit easily into the slots.
- You must “air out” the safe at least once a month.
Overall, the SentrySafe SFW205CWB is a solid (pun intended) entry from a well known, reputable manufacturer. It is quite capable of providing reliable protection for your important valuables and documents against fire, water, and theft. Beyond the obvious reassuring heft of the safe, the manufacturer’s warranty should make this an easy purchase.
You can purchase it here on Amazon.
Comments welcome! Do you have experience with this model? What are your thoughts? Share below!